Followers

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Review of Pizzeria Rustica, Colorado Springs, CO



Pizzeria Rustica     
2627 W. Colorado Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO


Very Good (***)


       I was browsing pizza recommendations before a recent trip to Colorado Springs, and Pizzeria Rustica was regularly showing up at the top of listings.  So, my gracious hosts and good friends in Colorado Springs made sure we got there for dinner as soon as I arrived.  I was fortunate to be able to catch up with my old friends from college days over some very good pizza.   

      Rustica, with its cozy, hip feel, is a pizzeria in the Neapolitan style, with a twist of local ingredients and color.  Situated in the Old Colorado City area of Colorado Springs, the pizzeria serves a very good pizza and excellent antipasti, all complemented by a nice selection of wines by glass or bottle, beer, coffee, tea and sparkling water.

     Where did our Italian sausage pie, the Salsiccia on the menu, rate?  As pointed out above, they are producing, in a wood fire oven, what I would call a “Neapolitan style” pizza possessing all the basic characteristics of the tradition.  The outstanding characteristics of their pie included the sauce of chopped tomatoes, the very good crust made with imported Italian and local, organic flour and the handmade mozzarella cheese.  The pizza was only slightly weak in the crust, in the use of the cheese and in the sausage.

     The sauce on the Rustica pizza is excellent, made with the famous San Marzano tomatoes of Italy.  These tomatoes give their sauce a delicate flavor with no acidic or sour overtones or aftertastes.  Keep in mind, of course, this sauce is more a spread of crushed tomatoes that adds a compliment of fresh tomato flavor rather than a base sauce.

     The cheese on Rustica’s pie is an excellent handmade mozzarella, smooth and mild and even textured.  My only complaint is that it was used too sparingly.  I know I often complain of pizzerias using cheese too liberally, but there is a fine line, and this pizza could have used a bit more to balance the flavor and texture of the pie.

      This pizzeria is very close to producing an excellent Neapolitan style crust in their wood fire oven.  It’s essentially “there”, but I suspect a bit more heat and time in the oven would finish this crust with a good char and a bit more smoky flavor, taking it from very good, to excellent!

       I love Italian sausage, the mild, the sweet and the spicier versions, but I don’t like it when I run across a bit of a fatty aftertaste.  The sausage on the Rustica pie had a good consistency and texture, but it did have that slightly fatty flavor, not matching my personal taste.

      The restaurant is arranged well and not overly loud, making it great for dining with friends.  The service is efficient but not over-bearing.  Our waitress, on the night we were there did seem a bit rushed, but I think they might have just been short-handed at the time.  Finally, as always, I must comment on the tableware and napkins…sturdy silverware and substantial napkins topped off a great pizza experience.

      When you enter Pizzeria Rustica and the aroma from the olive oil and wood fire oven reach you, you’re sold!  So, if in the Springs, I consider this restaurant a “don’t miss” on your restaurant tour!

Enjoy!!!

G     






No comments: